Job Opening: Development Director
The Vermont Bar Foundation (VBF) seeks an experienced development professional. The Development Director will develop, organize and execute fundraising efforts around the VBF’s core mission of funding programs that provide legal services to disadvantaged Vermonters, help rebuild low-income communities and promote equal access to justice and the rule of law in Vermont.
The Development Director should be able to analyze data effectively; communicate in a clear and compelling way; recruit, train and motivate a strong base of volunteer solicitors; and implement the VBF’s fundraising program. The ideal candidate will hold as a core value fair and equal access to justice for poor and vulnerable Vermonters. The Development Director position will involve flexible work hours, which are expected to average 40 hours per week, and will be expected to work remotely within Vermont, organize and attend fundraising events, set and meet target objectives and report to the VBF Board of Directors on a quarterly basis.
How to Apply
Applicants should email a letter of application to Deborah Bailey, Executive Director, Vermont Bar Foundation. Applications must include a cover letter, a resume, and the names and contact information for 2-5 references.
The Vermont Bar Foundation (VBF) was established in 1982 as a Vermont non-profit corporation. Our members are comprised of all attorneys licensed in Vermont. One of our primary purposes is to assist in funding essential legal services for low income Vermonters and to assure that access to justice and Vermont Courts is available to all, and not just those who can afford to purchase that access.
With the need for low income legal services continuing to grow, the VBF is now seeking an experienced and dynamic Development Director to lead and direct the VBF’s fundraising program. The right candidate will lead the VBF to increase our impact by diversifying our fundraising efforts, broadening our base of supporters, and refining our message for Vermonters statewide.
Development Director Responsibilities:
- Fundraising and Planning
- Plan, guide, and direct a comprehensive, strategic fundraising program and budget
- Develop, coordinate, implement and, as appropriate, revise the VBF’s fundraising efforts
in a strategic written plan, including fundraising goals and activities
- Identify funding sources (including individuals, corporations, and foundations) and create
- In consultation with and supported by the Executive Director and the VBF Board, solicit
and close major gifts
- Provide assistance and guidance in refining the VBF’s fundraising message and to
identify and facilitate contact with potential donors by VBF Board members or other
members of the Bar
- Develops strategies for and writes high-quality, effective proposals to prospective
corporate, foundation, and individual donors
- Work with the VBF Board Promotions Committee to create and implement communications strategy for donors and supporters
- Implements appropriate volunteer and donor acquisition, retention, and appreciation plans
- Develop programs & materials to raise public attention for the VBF
- Provide organizational assistance and staff support for the Annual Access to Justice
- Campaign and Justice Fest events
- Maintain website and social media and/or works cooperatively with the Promotions
- Committee to hone strategy
Internal Communications and Systems
- Oversees all posting of donations to the database, as well as managing gift/award tracking and generating necessary donor/financial reports
- Prepare and file reports as needed or required to the Vermont Supreme Court Administrator’s Office or other grant agency
- Report to the Executive Director as needed and to the VBF Board on a quarterly basis
- Handles confidential information with tact and discretion
- Performs other duties as assigned by Executive Director
Fundraising Development Director Benefits
- This position will involve flexible work hours, which are expected to average 40 hours per week
- Our work is Vermont-based but remote in nature. The Development Director will conduct solicitations and attend fundraising events around Vermont
The Director of Development has primary responsibility for representing the organization to donors and prospects to drive the organizational mission forward.
Development Director Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can provide inspirational direction to the VBF, mobilize resources, and utilize to maximum benefit Board members and members of the Bar.
- Must have at least 3 years of experience in a fundraising position
- Ability to plan and act strategically and raise funds to meet established goals
- Skill in major gift cultivation and solicitation
- Excellent human relations and communications skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- meet deadlines/targets and to work successfully with multiple competing priorities
- Creativity and entrepreneurial skills in maximizing resources in a small organization
- Skills in using and in training others in the use of development software and reporting
- Skills in using social media
Compensation and Employee Benefits
Medical Benefit: Single person plan
Retirement: 5% of salary amount upon completing 12 months of service
Leave Time: Vacation, sick and parental
– end –